Monday, May 24, 2010

Our Third Birth - Elijah

We were in California at this time. My mom and grandma had flown all the way from MI to be with us for this birth! So, they were there.  Isaiah was almost 4 years old.  Ana was almost 2 years old.  I knew I was in labor around 1:00am.  I laid on my side in the bed for a short time.  I got up, walked around.  While Matt was filling up the birth pool, I asked for a chair in the room.  I got on my knees, and leaned on the seat of the chair with my arms bent.  I moaned softly through the contractions.  It was getting stronger.  I really wanted to get in the pool.  When it was finally filled, I got in.  Aaaaaaah. . . . so nice. . . Isaiah was getting concerned, and was hanging around me a lot.  He needed a job.  So, I asked him if he could give me a hug through my contractions.  He was happy to do it.  So, when I felt a contraction coming, I said to Isaiah, "Ok, come here"  He reached his arms as far around me as he could.  He was outside the pool, in front of me.  It was so sweet.  He really did help me.  I had prepped him and Ana about the funny sounds I would make during birth.  So, it didn't scare him.  We had practiced and laughed about it for weeks!  When my midwife got there, I was almost to transition.  She asked me, "Sarah, do you feel the urge to push?"  I said, "When I feel the urge to push, you'll know because I'LL BE PUSHING!!!!"  I was so nice.  ;o)  Soon after that, it got a lot harder.  I threw up (in a trash bin outside the pool).  The contractions were so intense.  I tried a little push with one contraction.  No, it wasn't time yet, but I could tell that this was going to be harder than Ana's birth.  I thought, "I CAN'T DO THIS".  At this time, God impressed on my heart not to speak and claim those words of defeat, but instead to call out to Him.  It was between contractions.  Everyone was totally quiet.  I was facing the wall and couldn't see anyone in front of me.  It was just God and me and my baby.  I prayed out loud, "Father, thank You for giving us this baby.  Thank you that he's coming today.  'I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.' Thank You, Lord.  You bring this baby out.  This is all You.  Come on, let's go!"   After that I was on top of my pain (because my Jesus was carrying me).  It was time to push.  How did I know that?  I felt like pushing, remember?!  Oh boy.  Wow.  This was another big one.  I could tell!!  I pushed like I have never pushed before or since.  After his head came out, my body needed rest.  I had a couple minutes before the next contraction.  I P-U-S-H-E-D!!!!!  I had to push this one.  I started with my hand on his head, but then put it down to brace myself.  THen his body popped out, and I said, "There's my boy!!" (I did not know what we where having before this!) I reached back to bring him up, and Matt and the midwife said, "One more push!" He wasn't even out yet, but by the time he was out to his waist, it was such a relief, I thought I was done!  So a little push, and he was out and in my arms!  That big bubba was 10lbs 14oz!!  No wonder I had to work so hard!!  Elijah was born to his Daddy's hands at 5:30am on December 23rd, 2007, exactly 5 years to the day that we moarned our precious Faith!!  God was so good to us.  I was so close to God during Elijah's birth.  It was completely amazing.  By the way, all that pushing took place within about 7 minutes.  I had no tearing either.  4 months later we learned that he had severe hemophilia A.  He had no bruising at birth.  That was the beginning of Elijah Jesse Reeves!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. I love to hear from BWB readers!