Saturday, September 3, 2011

"Oxygen Mask"

This week, my dad has been in the hospital because his oxygen level has been too low, and he needed help.  He is home now, but remains on oxygen.  That was and still is scary for our family.  It is also such a good reminder to me. . .

A good friend once shared a story with me.  She was on an airplane, listening to the flight attendant's speech about safety.  She was once again bothered by the part where they insist you put your own oxygen mask on before you help your children with theirs.  So, she asked why.  Of course she would help her children first before herself, right?!!!  The flight attendant's reply was something she never forgets:  "Because if you are unconscious, there will be no one to take care of your children."  My friend carrys that with her as a mother.  How true this applies to our parenting!!!  We need to find our oxygen mask.  Take good care of ourselves so that we can take better care of those who depend on us. 

Now for my confession. . .

I have been so wrapped up in my blog, facebook page, and the constant demands of my children.  I have not been taking care of myself.  Pretty hypocritical, I know, but i think a lot of you can relate.  Last night, I started having a lot of braxton hicks contractions that wouldn't stop, and I was getting chills.  My husband wasn't home yet, and I was trying to have a special "snuggle and story time" with my children before bed.  I decided it would be good to check my urine (aimstick), and discovered what was causing my discomfort.  I was very dehydrated.  I called my midwife after my husband got home (husband speaking: I was NOT happy when I got home!), and she gave us instructions on how to get things under control.  It worked!  This morning, I feel so much better, and my specific gravity (hydration) has gone up quite a bit.

There was no excuse for this.  I know better!!!  My husband and midwife are keeping me accountable to take better care of myself.  I am 36 weeks and 2 days.  Silas should have a few more weeks to grow healthy and strong!  He is deep into my pelvis already.  We shall see.  But, I can tell you that I will be more careful to put on my "oxygen mask" from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. I love to hear from BWB readers!